Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Pop Pop

100 Years






That used to sound like a heck of a long time... I'm not so sure anymore.


My Grandfather saw a lot in his life. Born to a BIG family, I'm pretty sure he was the baby. Like a lot of people back then, work was an important part of life. He served in the National Guard, and then the U.S. Navy.


When the United States joined in the Second Great War, Freddie reenlisted... known as 'Pops' to the younger volunteers. His vessel took part in the invasions of Sicily & North Africa. My Grandmother followed every move the Florence Nightingale and the U.S. Navy made as that war raged. Her journals, and every letter Freddie sent her are right here in her hope chest, a part of my home now. I joined the family in 1960. Pop Pop had purchased a small hardware store in our home town in Massachusetts. I've got many fond memories of that old store... they don't make them like that anymore. Wooden shelves, weighing nails on the old brass scales that now live here with me.


I think everyone out there has a favorite grandparent, the one that made the biggest impression on them. For me, It's always been a toss up between Freddie & his wife Rena. My Grandfather is the one that visits me most often in my dreams, so that must count for something.


Happy Birthday Pop Pop
.

No comments:

Post a Comment