Monday, December 22, 2008

89 Days Till Spring!


It's a little sad... second day into Winter and I'm running out of places to put the snow! Our little house looks good in the snow, but this is a picture I should be taking in February.


This is our little rooster, Midge. He was a "free rare chick" that we were sent from the hatchery this past spring. I'm pretty sure he's a Hamburg of some kind. Since he has always been smaller than the Rhode Island Reds, he was the only rooster humble enough to escape my wrath in the fall slaughter. I'm not sure if it's the breed, or maybe being the whipping boy to a henhouse full of big hens, but poor Midge is wound up tighter than a banjo string. He's finally grown enough of a spine to venture into the heated henhouse at night, but come morning, when all of the egg laying ruckus starts, he's back in the bush. Poor Midge.



After some time shoveling, and a little hay getting thrown around, it's safe to venture down and mingle with the rest of the critters.




The girls are too smart to fall for that sunshine thing... it's still warmer in the old henhouse. They've got a brain the size of a peanut, so why is it that I'm the one outside freezing... and the girls... oh, nevermind!

Jack and old Charlie definately have the right idea. As soon as I bring in another few armloads of wood, I'll be joining them in front of the cookstove. I made so much eggplant parmigiana yesterday that I don't have to worry about cooking today, but tomorrow it's bread day!






No comments:

Post a Comment